Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Working Hard

This past weekend Lamar and I volunteered for Habitat for Humanity. I have always wanted to do this, and the opportunity arose, and we took it. We decided to volunteer for the 2nd shift which was from 12:30 to 5:00pm. This worked out great for us. We got to sleep in. I know that is completely selfish, but trust me, it was needed.

We arrived at 12:30 and waited for the shuttle to take us to our house. As I said earlier, I have never done this, so I didn't know what to expect. I was overwhelmingly surprised and how coordinated everyone was and how many houses were going up at one time. I would say there were approximately 10 Habitat Houses going up in this one neighborhood all at one time. To me, this was spectacular. Just think of how many families are getting a new home.

We got signed in, then proceeded to the house we had volunteered for, The Cunningham Family. We were asked to help out on the roof. So what did we do, yes you got it folks, we got to shingle a house. Lamar and I are pros, I think we could do our own house :) Somehow, we got lucky and got to use the nailgun while everyone else was doing it the hard way with hammer and nails. I would line the shingles up then Lamar would nail it down 4 times. We did this all afternoon and I was quite amazed at how much we got done.

After we finished, I asked the homeowner (they are there working the entire time with us) if I could take a look at the inside of the house. I took a look on the inside and was quite impressed. These families are so appreciative of everything they get. The comments she made to me about the house were so humbling and appreciative, it made me want to keep coming back to help this family build their new home.

Overall, it was a great experience and we would both love to do it again. I will have to say, our bodies were definitely not used to standing on a slanted roof all day. We were a little sore the next day :)

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Sorry I didn't have pictures to share of our experience.

1 comment:

amy (metz) walker said...

We've done HFH before and it's very gratifying to help others like this! That's awesome that you were willing to give your time to do this!